It’s time to gear up for our next travel adventure! First on my check list – my camera gear. I ask myself. Should I bring my hefty Nikon DSLR and it’s accoutrement of lenses? Or do I opt to leave it behind in lieu of my beloved Canon G16, with it’s less weighty, significantly smaller size, yet quite powerful photo-shooting abilities?
Then there’s my waterproof point-and-shoot that leaves a lot to be desired, and of course, my iPhone. My mind wanders further afar.
I think. I ponder. I ask. Will this be the vacation where I finally embrace the power of Instagram? Where I share my masterpieces of photographic imagery with this ever-so-popular social media avenue? And what will it take to capture such stellar images worthy of sharing on Instagram?
Tips to Optimize Your Travel Photos For Instagram
Ok, I admit it. I know very little about Instagram. So when I decided that it was fine time that I changed that, I came across this infographic – How To Take Amazing Travel Photos on Instagram. It turns out that optimizing travel photos for social sharing on Instagram really isn’t all that different than optimizing travel photos with any camera.
So here they are – six Instagram Travel Photography tips. You tell me – are they just for Instagram? Or are they great tips for any travel photographer, no matter the photographic device or skill level, whether social sharing or not?
- Be Prepared. Yep, whether taking photos with an iPhone, point & shoot camera, or a DSLR, you do need to be prepared to capture that prime photo opp.
- Rise Early. Or stay late! Capturing images beneath a rising or setting sun can result in some pretty spectacular photos no matter the photo-taking device.
- Be Patient. Waiting for the optimal moment to push that button, is integral to capturing shareable photos for any photographer.
- Just Ask. A worthy tip for capturing more “personal” images “in the moment.”
- Seek Action. iPhone and DSLR photographers alike! Go where the action is to capture that stellar shareable photo.
- Finer Details. The finer details can make for awesome shares, whether on Instagram or in a photo album. So go on, adjust your photo perspective for the finer details!
Read more on how you too can take photographic masterpieces and become an Instagram travel photo sharing guru.
I don’t know about you, but I am always working on enhancing the finer techniques of travel photography. And even though these six tips are directed towards mobile device photographers who share their prized photos via Instagram, I find the tips helpful for every photographer, regardless of camera type, skill level, and avenue shared.
These tips are tried and true photography tips no matter if your primary photographic device is an iPhone, a point & shoot, or a DSLR, and whether you are sharing those images with family and friends, on Facebook, in a blog, in a photo album or on Instagram.
Do You Instagram?
Instagram is one social media I have not much used. I’m looking forward to expanding my Instagram know-how on our upcoming family vacation. Wish me luck, and be sure to check out my Instagram photo action to see how it goes. And just because I do like to share, here’s my first ever Instagram of a recent snowstorm.
Yes, I know. I am still tweaking my Instagram skills, but loving the different filter options it provides to transform an ordinary photo into something a bit more unique.
So how about you? Do you share photos via Instagram? Do you have any photo-taking tips to share with us Instagram newbies? Tips for every photographer? Please share! I know I certainly can use all the photographic and Instagram tips help I can get.
Want more travel photography tips? Check out last week’s post – 9 Favorite Free Photography Apps You Need Before Your Next Vacation.
Image from C.Biederman. Infographic by dealchecker.