It’s not too late! You can still book a fab summer vacation that the whole family will enjoy, and possibly even get a great deal too. How? Be flexible. Be open to exploring more “non-traditional” summer destinations. Consider going to a ski resort!
Huh? A ski resort in summer?
Why? Why not! Many ski resorts have discounted rates in the summer because most people only consider them as winter destinations. Instead of skiing the slopes, hike the slopes. Enjoy mountain-side dining in the sunshine and warm breezes, instead of snowflakes and frosty air. And to get you off to your
ski summer mountain resort vacation, here are eight United States and two Canadian ski resorts that welcome the summer traveler with open arms.
North East –
- Smuggler’s Notch, Vermont – One of the East Coast’s top family ski destinations, Smuggler’s Notch has developed itself into an almost equally as busy summer destination. Water-based activities wanted? Take on Smuggler’s waterworld, including eight heated pools, four waterslides, splash pools, and a water playground complete with water cannons. Don’t forget to save time for the many other activities, including hiking, ziplining, kayaking, golf, and geocaching. Want to enjoy some parental downtime? The kids’ camps are sure to keep those kiddies entertained all day so you can relax. Hey, you can even trek with a llama at Smugglers! How cool is that! Save 10% on summer bookings through this link.
- Waterville Valley, New Hampshire – Nestled in the White Mountain National Forest, Waterville Valley is conveniently located to several major east coast cities, yet isn’t as well known as other ski resort/summer destinations. Don’t let that deter you from checking Waterville out. The list of summer activities is quite impressive – zipline though the White Mountains, take a lift ride up Snow Mountain with your bike, then bike down the mountain. Keep the youngsters happy at the kids’ club while the adults enjoy a round of golf or a high-spirited tennis match. Find the deal that best fits your travel needs at Plan Your Trip.
- Mont Tremblant, Quebec – One of Quebec’s premiere ski destinations, Mont Tremblant is equally as fun as a summer destination. With loads of mountainside accommodations, and a fun, festive pedestrian village, Mont Tremblant is well worth the trek. Bike, hike, jump, climb and run all day long. Walk the Akropark’s 30 foot long, 20 foot high, challenge series. Enjoy an afternoon of Family Entertainment, including street entertainers, water games, concerts and parades. Then end the day enjoying a a relaxing dinner and music in the village. Check out the Mont Tremblant Summer Vacation Packages for something that fits your travel plans.
- Boyne Mountain, Michigan – Just look at all the summer activities at Boyne Mountain. Try out a Segway tour around the Mountain or a zipline adventure down the Mountain. Weather won’t get the family down when there’s Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark in town! Fish, bike, golf, relax, beach – that’s all here too. Way too many fun and exciting adventures await you at Boyne this summer. There’s even a wakeboard camp in August!
Rocky Mountains –
Colorado is better known for it’s ski resorts, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying these places in the summer! And in recent weeks, flying into Denver, Colorado has been one of the few flight destinations that you might still be able to find a good airfare deal.
- Steamboat – Steamboat’s summer vacation packages offer deals to experience this popular ski resort in a whole new light. From the mountain biker to the gourmet foodie, Steamboat has a deal for every taste. Take to the sky in a gondola ride or hot air balloon ride. Explore the surrounding wild beauty on horseback or on an ATV. Partake in onsite activities such as the Adventure Zone, complete with a climbing wall, trampoline bungee jump, and more. Scream down the “Howler,” a 2400-foot alpine slide. Not enough action? Take on rock-climbing, swim in a hot springs or challenge yourself whitewater rafting. There’s plenty to keep even the most active happy here! Check out more Steamboat summer travel deals.
- Winter Park – Yet another Colorado summer adventure awaits you at Winter Park, the closest ski-resort to Denver. Check out this impressive list of outdoor summer fun – trestle bike park, mini-golf, human maze, bungee jumping, and climbing wall. Don’t forget Colorado’s longest Alpine Slide is at Winter Park – ride a chairlift to mid-mountain, get on a plastic sled with rollers and brakes, and slide 3030 feet down. Now that’s going to get your blood pumping! Here’s a sampling of summer vacation deals at Winter Park.
- Aspen/Snowmass – A longer drive from Denver, but well worth it for the spectacular scenery alone. Take a gondola ride up on either Snowmass or Aspen Mountain, then head out to miles of hiking trails and new experiences. Explore hiking and biking terrain for every level, from beginner to expert. Revel in the expansive views of the Maroon Bells, Roaring Fork Valley and Elk Mountains. Head into town to enjoy the free, live outdoor music. Send the kids to Camp Aspen/Snowmass, and they are sure to arrive back tired, yet happy, after their day of mountainboarding, skateboarding, paintball and plenty of other fun kids’ stuff.
Out West –
- Whistler-Blackcomb, Vancouver British Columbia – With room rates as low as $99 in July, book a perfect family budget getaway to Whistler. And at these rates, bring the friends too. You can all enjoy the spectacular views together.What else is there to do in the warmer weather? How about biking, hiking, fishing, horse-back riding, even send the kids to camp. The Blackcomb Adventure Zone has activities to please everyone. Race down a Luge track, bungee jump on the Sky Trampoline, and swing like Tarzan in the Rope Zone are examples of activities the whole family can enjoy in the Adventure Zone.
- Big Sky, Montana – Located about an hour from the north-western entrance to Yellowstone, Big Sky not only provides access to a National Park, but it also provides great on-site activities. Big Sky summer action includes ziplining through the forest, challenging yourself to new heights at the high ropes challenge course, bouncing, jumping and flipping over the bungee trampoline, enjoying a scenic lift ride up the mountain, and of course loads of golf, hiking and biking. Don’t forget to end that busy day with some time at the Solace Spa, relaxing and readying yourself for the next day’s adventures.
- Squaw Valley/Lake Tahoe, California – Experience Squaw Valley in a uniquely summer atmosphere. Swim in a pool surrounded by mountain side peaks. Tackle the climbing wall. Hike and biking the miles upon miles of trails. End it all off with a relaxing boat ride on Lake Tahoe. Choose High Camp activities like ice skating, geocaching, paint ball games, and disc golf. Or go Base Camp for sky jumping, climbing walls and rope courses. No matter which way you go, you are destined to have fun at Squaw Valley. Now that’s mecca in California.
These are just a sampling of ski resort/summer destination ideas. It doesn’t mean there aren’t others – there certainly are! Have a favorite ski resort not mentioned here? Go check it out for a summer destination. You might just be surprised at what you find. And no matter which ski resort/summer destination you pick, you are sure to find adventure for all.
From high action packed challenges to quiet mountainside dinners and beautiful sunsets – a ski resort/summer vacation might just be your ticket to a great summer vacation. Have you vacationed at a ski resort/ summer resort? What are your thoughts and recommendations? Let us know in the Comments section below.