Planning a vacation? Want a better way to keep track of all those trip reservations? Tired of not finding that paper with your reservation information when you need it, or that e-mail listing your car rental rate? Then let Tripit keep your trip details organized for you.
What is Tripit?
Tripit is a handy tool that organizes all your travel plans in one convenient location, including flight numbers, hotel and car rental confirmation details, even pre-booked events and activities. But it goes one step further than simply adding your travel plans into a database. It also sets up a day-by-day itinerary, complete with daily weather reports, maps and other details specific to your destination.
How does Tripit Do That?
Whenever you receive a trip e-mail confirmation, simply forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tripit takes it from there, building a custom itinerary just for your trip. You access this itinerary either online at www.tripit.com, or from a mobile device loaded with a Tripit mobile app – read more about Tripit mobile apps further down in this post. Organizing your trip is as easy as 1-2-3 with Tripit on your side!
Let’s walk through setting up a Tripit trip:
1. Book your travel plans through your normal channels.
2. Forward all your travel plan confirmation e-mails to email@example.com.
3. Shazaam! Trip plan created! Now go into Tripit and check out your itinerary.
Yep, it really is as easy as 1-2-3.
Can Anyone Become a Tripit Member?
Absolutely! Tripit offers three types of membership – Free, Pro, and Business. You pick what best fits your travel style. To help you decide which membership best fits you, here’s an airplane view of each type:
- Tripit Free members receive the services of creating custom itineraries from confirmation e-mails, 24/7 access via the website and mobile devices, and trip sharing with those who need to know.
- Tripit Pro is an enhanced version of Tripit Free, and comes with a $49 annual fee. If you are a frequent traveler, it might just be worth the splurge. Tripit Pro members receive mobile flight alerts, providing up to the minute flight details like whether it is on time, delayed or cancelled, as well as refunds on airfare reductions, VIP privileges, and alternate flight options. Tripit Pro members really do get a leg up on travel assistance.
- Tripit for Business is geared towards office or travel admins who manage other Tripit travelers. It provides an “Admin Dashboard,” team traveler calandars and map features, helping businesses keep on top of where their employees are going.
Here’s a video “walk-through” detailing more about the advantages of having Tripit as your travel buddy.
I don’t live in the U.S. Can I use Tripit? Yes! All three Tripit membership options are available world-wide.
Tripit On The Go
Probably one of the best features of Tripit is it’s mobile applications. Need to access your trip plans on the road? Got it! Forgot the address to your hotel? Got it! Need proof of your car rental agreement? Got it! You can access maps, reservations, and more from the Tripit Mobile App. Tripit Mobile Applications are available for iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Windows Phone 7 devices.
Oh no, flight cancelled! If you are a Tripit Pro member, got that covered too! Tripit Mobile not only provides Pro members with instant access to travel details, it also provides up-to-date flight notifications. But you gotta “go Pro” for this feature.
Three Common “Need Help with Tripit” Questions
Though most Tripit operational activities go smoothly, there are a few common “help me” situations that can throw you off. Don’t let them! Tripit really is quite easy to use. To help you out, here are links to the most likely issues you might run into when using Tripit.
1. I received a “Problems with your Tripit Submission” e-mail. What’s up? Some confirmation e-mails do not come in “Tripit Ready” format. There are several possibilities for this, the most common being the booking vendor changed their confirmation e-mail format or the confirmation e-mail you received was not written in a language currently supported by Tripit. No biggie. You can go back into Tripit and manually enter all the data. Not optimal, but you will still have all your information in one location. Read more about Problems with Your Tripit Submission for other possible causes and how to correct this situtation.
2. Why isn’t my itinerary showing up in my account / trip? Perhaps the confirmation e-mail went into the incorrect trip, or the e-mail format was in an unsupported format and is in “no-man’s land” of your account. Read more about “My Itinerary Isn’t Showing Up in My Account” for other possible causes and how to correct this situation.
3. My Mobile device isn’t showing New Trips/latest changes. Help! You might need to refresh your app or update to the newest version. The newest mobile apps for iPhone and Android are set to refresh automatically when you sign in. However, if you are using older versions of iPhone and Android apps or any Blackberry app, these versions default to refresh every three hours. You can go into your settings and manually change the refresh rate to your preferred time. Read more about “New Trips/Latest changes not shown” for other possible causes and how to correct this situation.
Need more help? Check out the Tripit Help Center for other questions and problem solving needs. It is chock full of details for practically anything you might need help with at Tripit.
One last tip – Tripit is so much more than a repository for air, hotel and car rental e-mail information. Use it to organize all your trip details, including those without an e-mail confirmation, though they will need to be manually entered into Tripit. In a matter of minutes, you can have a daily planner for on the go travel, complete with daily activities, weather reports, addresses for handy mapping needs, even a place for your own notes. Here’s a quick view of how helpful Tripit can be as a daily activity planner.
Follow the same instructions from Problems with Your Tripit Submission for manually entering trip activities.
Do you like the simplicity of a Tripit organized trip? Do you already use Tripit? Let us know your questions and thoughts in the Comments section below.
Carol might be delayed in responding to your comments this week – she’s off enjoying a Spring Break vacation with her family, thanks to bargain airfare, a couple of Groupon deals, and perseverance in finding the optimal lodging at a decent price. And of course, Tripit is keeping all these details organized and accessible with her mobile phone Tripit App! But please leave a comment. She will be sporadically checking e-mail and will be sure to write you back.