Money is like a “love-hate” relationship: Love to spend it. Love to save it. Hate not having enough. Hate when it runs out! It makes sense then, that saving money is one of the top New Year’s Resolutions for 2012.
You can save money in many ways:
- Automatic payroll deductions to your bank or credit union savings account.
- Contribute to a retirement savings account such as an IRA or 401k.
- Invest in the stock market.
- Stuff the mattress in the guest bedroom with dollar bills.
- Pay less for the items you purchase.
What was that? Save money by paying less for your purchases? Who doesn’t like to save money? Who couldn’t use a little extra pocket change? And who couldn’t use a little help in finding that “little bit extra”?
Everyone has a shopping list: groceries, new clothes and shoes for your kids, school supplies, yard and home maintenance items. The list is endless. But how to save money with your shopping list? With a little time, patience and diligence, you can cut the cost of nearly everything you want to purchase. Here’s five favorite tips to put money back into your wallet:
- Shop with coupons. Whether online or delivered to your door, there are coupons everywhere. Online coupons can be printed or downloaded to a smartphone, and our mailboxes, magazines and newspapers are chock-full of money-saving coupons. Online coupon websites are a great way to find savings in a few minutes’ time. Two favorite websites are Retail Me Not and Coupon Cabin. Check out my prior post, Please Retail Me Not! for more information on Retail Me Not.
- Shop off-season. Think summer in January! Online stores like Athleta need to sell last year’s swimsuits and sandals to make room for this year’s beach wear. Wait another month or two and all those winter jackets and boots will take a serious price dive. Retailers frequently change their inventory, creating opportunities to pick up last season’s hot items at a discount.
- Shop for last season’s edition of a favorite item. You can’t go wrong when you stay with the classics! So why not pick up last year’s version and get a great deal? Check out online discount retailers such as Sierra Trading Post who specialize in bringing you excess inventory at great prices. Read Get Great Deals at Sierra Trading Post for more about how Sierra Trading Post can save you money.
- Price check before you purchase. The internet and smartphones have revolutionized how we shop and online shopping tools such as My Simon can help you find a better price on that coveted item.
- Join a favorite store’s customer loyalty program. Most retailers realize the benefit of repeat business, and they want yours! A customer loyalty program offer its members exclusive benefits ranging from “members only” coupons and special sales, to cash back on purchases to free shipping of online orders. Shop Target? The Target REDCard gives you a “little extra” each time you use it. Read Get A Target REDCard and Supercharge Your Purchase for more information.
Is saving money your 2012 New Year’s Resolution? Then stay tuned for more money saving tips and ideas. That’s OUR New Year’s Resolution to you!
What’s your New Year’s Resolution? Tell us how you want to save in the coming months! Let us know in the Comments section below.