Did you know that Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Week was last week? So why am I writing about Random Acts of Kindness this week?
Because random acts of kindness are great all year round, that’s why! Just think how much kinder and gentler this world could be if everyone performed one random act of kindness every week of the year, and not just during RAK Week. So how about it? Will you join me in doing just one random act of kindness each and every week of the year?
Need some inspiration for planning your own random acts of kindness? Here’s 25 favorite acts to get you started on your own kindness campaign.
25 Random Acts of Kindness For Every Week
Once a week, slow down. Observe the world spinning madly around you. Then take a moment to help someone in need, to offer a kind smile to a stranger, or to simply be nice for no apparent reason. It’s really quite easy, and oh-so-rewarding for both you and the recipient of that kind act or friendly smile. That one, small gesture could be the turning point of their day. Maybe even their lives.
Ten Random Acts For The People You Know
What better place to perform random acts of kindness than in our own homes and neighborhoods? Or where we work? Show the people that surround you how much they are appreciated with one of these ten Random Acts of Kindness.
1. Write a note to your child or significant other. Let him know how special he is. Add a few chocolates to further sweeten his day.
2. Deliver a meal to a home-bound neighbor or a friend going through a rough time.
3. Help an elderly neighbor with yard work or household repairs.
4. Offer to grocery shop for a house-bound friend or elderly neighbor.
5. Shovel a neighbor’s walkway or mow their lawn.
6. Offer to babysit a neighbor or friend’s children so they may have an evening out.
7. Treat a friend to a movie. Don’t forget the popcorn!
8. Send a friend a card. Let her know how much you appreciate her in your life.
9. Send flowers to someone who needs an extra pick-me-up.
10. Leave chocolates on co-workers’ desks. Or leave a favorite treat in the office break room with a note for everyone to enjoy.
Got kids? Involve them in your random acts of kindness. Or have them do their own random acts of kindness for their teachers, bus drivers, coaches, and friends.
Ten Random Acts To Uplift A Stranger
Show the world your inner kindness. Offer a stranger a kind gesture and you might just make his day. Here’s ten ways make the day brighter for the world around you.
1. Donate balloons to a local children’s hospital.
2. Send a thank you card to your Police or Fire Department.
3. Adopt a soldier and send him a thank you card and /or care package.
4. Give a homeless person a gift card to a local restaurant or grocery store.
5. Buy a lottery ticket and give it to a stranger.
6. Let the person behind you at the check-out lane go in front of you.
7. Smile at people walking by or the person at the service counter. And say Hi too!
8. Drop quarters into parking meters, especially if the meter is about to expire.
9. Give an extra tip to a waitress or waiter who worked hard to bring you that meal.
10. Pay the toll for the car behind you at the toll booth, or pay for a stranger’s cup of coffee at your local coffee shop.
So go on. Brighten the day of a stranger. It’s as easy as a smile, a cup of coffee, or a thank you card to a local service department.
Five Extra Special Random Acts of Kindness
Volunteering an hour a week to those in need, down on their luck, or in a personal crisis can be a truly life changing experience. Here’s five extra special acts to consider.
1. Volunteer at the local senior center or children’s hospital.
2. Volunteer at a local animal shelter. Or donate food, blankets, kitty litter, or other needed items to the shelter.
3. Volunteer to help prepare and/or serve food at a local homeless shelter. Or donate food to a local food bank.
4. Donate blood or platelets to your local blood bank.
5. Sign up and be tested for a bone marrow registry.
Donating the gift of life, be it blood, platelets or bone marrow is a truly special random act of kindness and compassion.
About The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation
The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation is a non-profit foundation promoting the belief that kindness will make this world a better place. It has dedicated itself to providing tools and resources to help everyone channel their own inner kindness.
Check out the Random Acts of Kindness Ideas Page for additional ideas on how you can help make this world a kinder, gentler place. RAK’s Pinterest board is a treasure trove of random acts of kindness too! You might also want to check out the 5 Minute Thank You note, great for creating quick and easy thank you cards for everyone on your list.
Think about it. Just one random act of kindness a week. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time, nor require a cash investment. But it can make a world of difference for the person receiving that random act of kindness.
So go on, try it. Something as simple as “Smile at Five Strangers” can turn someone else’s frown upside down. You might be surprised by how many people will actually smile back at you. I promise – you will get more than you give!
Did you participate in last week’s RAK Week? What was your random act of kindness? What do you think about one Random Act of Kindness every week? Share with us in the Comments section below.
Images from the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation and Be The Match Bone Marrow Registry.